Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Another day, another freebie


What's the best kind of freebie? Free cash, of course! What's the next best thing? A free gift card. That's the kind of freebie I received in my mailbox today. And all I had to do for it was sell my soul to the devil. :) Well, not quite.

You see, a lot of large companies nowadays will go to great lengths to earn new business. And one of the most affluent and competitive types of business out there is the insurance industry. It is no wonder then that every once in a while different insurance companies offer bonuses to potential new clients for requesting a policy quote.

That's what happened in this case. In early January I received an ad from RBC Insurance informing me that I will receive a $25 Esso gift card if I request an auto insurance quote from them either by phone or in person at one of their branches. To the untrained eye, this leaflet looked like just another piece of junk mail. But not to a professional frugalite! Picking gems out of junk mail is part of the art of saving. So I figured, what have I got to lose? A few minutes of my time, plus you never know, perhaps I'll get a quote that is lower than what I'm paying for insurance right now and I'll become a happy RBC Insurance customer. As it turned out, the quote I was offered was significantly higher than my current premium. However, the process was quite painless and the phone call only took about five minutes. And now, two months later I am the happy recipient of a $25 Esso gift card! Gotta love those insurance companies and their promotions!

Other bonuses I have received for requesting quotes from insurance companies in the past include a nice first aid kit from the TD Canada Trust and PC points worth a few bucks from PC Financial Insurance. While there are no current promotions of this type that I am aware of, as soon as another one comes up I will be sure to post about it here, so stay tuned. Until then, keep an eye on your mailboxes because you never know when an awesome deal will pop up disguised as a pesky piece of toilet paper alternative!

0 comments on "Another day, another freebie"

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Labels

The Frugal Shopaholic Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez